The history of the Treman, Tremaine, Truman family in America; (1901)

fullscreen
Author: Treman, Ebenezer Mack, 1850- [from old catalog]; Poole, Murray Edward, 1857- [from old catalog] joint author
Volume: 1
Subject: Treman family (Joseph Truman, d. 1697) [from old catalog]; Mack family (John Mack, 1653-1721) [from old catalog]; Dey family (Dirck Jansen Dey, d. 1687?) [from old catalog]; Board family (Cornelius Board, d. 1745) [from old catalog]; Ayers family (John Ayer, 1590?-1657) [from old catalog]
Publisher: [Ithaca, N.Y.] Press of the Ithaca democrat
Digitizing sponsor: Sloan Foundation
Book contributor: The Library of Congress
Collection: library_of_congress; americana

Average Rating: 3.00 out of 5 stars3.00 out of 5 stars3.00 out of 5 stars

Reviewer: DaveR! - 3.00 out of 5 stars3.00 out of 5 stars3.00 out of 5 stars - January 27, 2014
Subject: How do I send in Errata? What are the rules? What are my options?
The History of the Treman, Tremaine, Truman Family in America 1901
https://archive.org/details/historyoftremant01lctrem
This is a big book with lots of information found almost nowhere else but with the information, most of the time one can find where to look. It has a huge collection of Treman, Tremaine,Truman etc family data that is assembled no place else. Also there is a section of Mack Family and a section of Ayres and Eyre Family data at which I am not looking. This book is not not at all user friendly. Considering there was no access to census data, no computers, no internet, up to Appendix XXVIII and corrections to the corrections, 2248 pages plus the pages to which letters had been added, they run out of time and money, they did a remarkable job.
The only place to find a page numbers is at the top of most the pages.
There is no Table of Contents.
There is a name to ID number index for the Treman, Tremaine, Truman family, note Family in the title is singular which was a major error.
As well as an Index of Names to ID numbers for each of the Mack, Dey, Board and Ayer, Ayers, Ayars, & Eyrefamilies.
They figured out where they were with ID numbers. Every person in the book got a unique number and more than half got two, some got more. Not all numbers were used. Looking at the index of names, the largest ID number I have found is #986951, less than half the numbers are used.
There are lots of errors which range from the big one to the wrong ID number. The big one is mixing the descendants of Joseph TRUMAN New London, CT with those of Philip TREMAIN Westfield, Hampshire (now Hampden) Co., MA. Some people are in the wrong families and some ID numbers are incorrect.
I started collect errata on this book about 40 years ago with notes, then the libraries got zerox machines and I used marked up pages, and then I download your copy.
I have a dave-tremain WorldConnect file in RootsWeb.com built with data I have collected from this book, the US census and everywhere legal

DaveR!

Selected metadata

Scanningcenter: capitolhill
Mediatype: texts
Identifier-bib: 0021548340A
Identifier: historyoftremant01lctrem
Operator: annac@...
Scanner: scribe8.capitolhill.archive.org
Scandate: 20080408133013
Identifier-access: http://www.archive.org/details/historyoftremant01lctrem
Identifier-ark: ark:/13960/t6zw1h31h
Sponsordate: 20080531